Sunday, December 28, 2008

Steven's Family Restaurant

Corner of W. 116th and Detroit. Cleveland, OH.
This was my regular breakfast spot for quite a while when I lived a block away. There was a 69¢ breakfast special! (Two eggs, homefries, and toast-- it came to $1.17 with coffee and tax.) Nice waitresses, usually, and an insane guy named Eddie there in the mornings. Good booths and counter—- cool restaurant art on walls, and sculpture. Big, old pie display case. The food was uneven and not great, but it was the world record cheapest.
--RR 1989

2 comments:

Jeff said...

That is really crazily cheap! I think the cheapest breakfast around that I know of now is at a weird bar that opens up at 6 in the morning called the Sidetrack on Lakewood Heights Blvd, next to the RTA station.

Anyway - was this actually right on the corner of 116 & Detroit? There's a record store there now, and the building has this weird neo-art-deco facade stuff all over the outside of it, which I somehow doubt was like that in '89. Hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago now..

Ray Speen said...

I'm pretty sure it was W.116th and Detroit. There is always the chance that I am wrong. No, that's what it says in my notebook, it must be right. It was a pretty big place, actually, and kind of dark. The best thing about it visually was the pie display case. Other than that, I don't remember much.